Nurse Practitioners (NP) are Registered Nurses (RN) who has graduated from an approved Master’s Degree program that provides additional education and experience in a specialized area of practice. This enables them to become licensed and sit for a nationally recognized certification exam. NPs must renew their license every three years and update their national certification every five years through ongoing education and training.
Nurse Practitioners diagnose, treat, and prescribe medication for a patient’s condition that falls within their specialized area of practice. They provide high quality, evidenced-based health care services, and are mainstream providers found in both primary and specialty care. Their focus is on health promotion, education, counseling and disease prevention. NPs work closely with patients listening to concerns, explaining health options and providing appropriate diagnosis and treatment. They provide individualized care resulting in high levels of satisfaction.
Services provided by NPs include physical examinations, diagnosis, and treatment of illness, prescribing medications, ordering and interpreting laboratory/diagnostic tests, educating patients about healthy lifestyles and coordinating health care services.
The Nurse Practitioners at Tri-State Bariatrics are all well-trained in managing the weight loss programs of our Bariatric Surgery patients.
Nurse Practitioners’ Roles at TSB
- Perform initial history and physical examination of every patient entering our program
- Provide pre-operative education and supervision of weight loss prior to surgery
- Perform pre-operative history and physical examinations
- Assist with immediate post-operative care
- Provide continuous long-term post-operative care and ongoing patient education
- Order and interpret appropriate diagnostic X-ray or laboratory tests
- Diagnose complications and collaborate with our surgeons to coordinate treatments
- Perform Lap-Band adjustments
- Provide after-hours and weekend call coverage for patients with questions or problems
Two of our Nurse Practitioners are also Registered Nurse First Assistants (RNFA), and are qualified to assist in surgery.
Schedule your seminar today so you can be one step closer to the weight loss success you crave.