How to Solve Protein Shake Boredom
Getting bored of your protein shakes? Here are some ways to “jazz” up the flavor of those shakes without adding unwanted sugar or calories.
MOCHA LATTE SHAKE– Cool ¾ cup decaffeinated coffee. Add coffee to blender and begin blending. Add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa, and 1-2 packs calorie free sweetener such as Equal. Once thoroughly blended, add ice until desired consistency is achieved.
CREAMSICLE SHAKE– Blend 1 cup water, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 tsp.orange flavored Crystal Light powder and 3-4 ice cubes.
PEANUT CHOCOLATE SHAKE– Blend 1 cup water, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 3-4 ice cubes, and 1 tsp. PB2 powder.
GRASSHOPPER SHAKE – Add a few drops of mint extract into your favorite chocolate shake. Add 3-4 ice cubes if desired.
CAPPUCINO SHAKE – Add ½ cup of your coffee to your vanilla shake.
PROBLEM SOLVING: IF YOUR SHAKE IS………….
– try adding a few ice cubes to thicken it.
– try blending liquid and ice first, then slowly add the protein powder to the blender. If this doesn’t work you may want to try a different brand of protein powder.
– this may occur if you turn on the blender and leave it on high. Try pulsing the blender on and off. This should result in less volume and a more desired “milk shake” consistency.
Not Sweet Enough
– try adding a packet of calorie free sweetener or sugar free gelatin powder to provide sweetness.
Weak Vanilla Flavor
– try adding ¼ tsp. vanilla extract or ½ tsp. imitation vanilla flavor to enhance the vanilla taste.
Weak Chocolate Flavor
– try adding 1 tsp. of real cocoa powder to give it a more “chocolaty” flavor without adding sugar.
If you’re on a tight budget but want a variety of flavors,- turn vanilla into chocolate by adding 1 tsp. of cocoa as mentioned above.
Just remember to resist the urge to add milk, fruits and sugar sweetened syrups to your shakes. The goal is to improve the flavor of your protein shakes, while making sure that your shakes remain very low in carbohydrates, sugar, and calories. Bon Appetit!!