How to Lose Weight with The Right Diet After a Sleeve Gastrectomy
By Lisa Deguzman, RD, CDN
Losing weight successfully after a sleeve gastrectomy depends largely on an appropriate diet plan. There are many bariatric programs available now. Each of these programs has its own specific dietary and behavioral guidelines.
It is important to work closely with your Bariatric Surgeon and Dietitian to learn what guidelines your will need to follow. Each guideline has been carefully designed by your healthcare team to offer you the most successful weight loss outcome.
Diets that make you lose weight faster are not suitable for sleeve gastrectomy patients
Commercial diet plans or fad diets advertised in the media can be very tempting. This is understandable, considering they offer quick weight loss. Unfortunately, fad diets are not appropriate for a person who has undergone bariatric surgery.
The best diet after a sleeve gastrectomy is the one that your program has provided for you. Each program has different rationale for the effectiveness of their plan.
After the gastric sleeve, there are physical limitations that will affect what you eat, but there are also behavioral limitations that can optimize weight loss. So, entering a diet program should be done with thoughtfulness and caution.
Lose weight safely with the Tristate Bariatrics gastric sleeve diet plan
At tristate bariatrics, our gastric sleeve patients follow a diet plan that is carefully planned and created by our clinical staff. These four elements make up the core of our diet plan,
- Very low carbohydrate/calorie intake
- Adequate protein
- Fluid intake
- Mindful eating practices
How the diet plan from Tri state Bariatrics compares to other diets out there.
Many of the popular diet plans out there demonstrate similar components to our diet plan. For example,
- The Atkins diet plan is low in carbohydrates, but it is also higher in fat.
- The South Beach diet is low in carbohydrates, but they allow more carbohydrates than we recommend.
- Weight Watchers is mindful of food selections and portion sizes, but it is higher in calories than we recommend.
- Slim fast recommends two shakes per day just as we do at certain points in our plan. However, the shake recommendations do not match those we recommend at Tristate Bariatrics. Additionally, the meal does have carbohydrates.
- The paleo diet is low in carbohydrates, but they do allow more complex carbohydrates.
With the meal plans at Tristate Bariatrics, each patient’s weight loss needs are thoroughly calculated, and their food preferences are considered to fit into our recommended parameters.
Therefore, the only diet plan that is recommended for you after a gastric sleeve is the diet that your specific program prescribes to you.
It is not worth it to try to lose weight quickly using quick fix plans.
CONTACT US TODAY if you have had a sleeve gastrectomy. Tri state Bariatrics clinical staff will help you to plan the right diet to help you reach your weight loss goals.
You can also visit our testimonials page to see what our happy patients are saying about us.